Saturday, July 9, 2011

Abandoned: CNC Mill

I don't know about the rest of you, but I start a lot of projects that don't reach completion. I've become emotionally attached to the parts that I dragged around with me so I'm loathe to part with them, but I thought I would start documenting them.

Back when I lived in San Francisco and had full use of my arms I bought a Rong Fu RF-31 Mill/Drill from Enco:


I was having a blast with it and lusting after making it CNC. But then I got a repetitive strain injury and lost the ability to wrench the bolts that hold the head in place. The mill languished for a long time at my studio at the Cataclysmic Megashear Ranch. When I moved to Seattle I left the mill behind in the care of Jamie Nasiatka. This was back in 2004, I haven't been a great friend and slowly lost touch with him. But a quick search just showed that he finished what I always intended: converting the mill to CNC.

I've since purchased a Mini-Mill that fits my shop and arm capabilities. Due to my CNC lust back in San Francisco, I purchased a number of the parts needed to convert the mill to CNC.

The parts are totally useless for my Mini-Mill.

Mini-Mill, small but easy on the arms.

Here are my parts that I'm still trying to come up with a creative use for:


36V 20A Linear Power Supply for the Motors, also from Dan Mauch

Old Servo motor drives from Gecko

Servo motors with encoders from Dan Mauch


Parallel Port breakout card (sorta useless since I don't have a computer with a parallel port anymore).

Possible uses:
power drive for the lead screw on the 9x20 lathe. I doubt I'll cnc it, but it would be an mighty accurate power feed if hooked up to an arduino.





No comments:

Post a Comment